CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Nothing like a little butt kicking

It's been beautiful here most of the year. It "snowed" once about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but all that that consisted of was these small little snow-flake-looking things barely landing on the ground and then they were gone. Could have been something else that just resembled snow, for all I know.
But yesterday, the winter weather rolled in and boy did it show us who was boss. See, here in Missouri, we don't really get snow. We get ice. And lots of it. So when the weather called for ice two nights ago, I braced for the worst. We haven't had literally ANY winter weather, so I figured this was it. But that small front came, sleeted and left with minimal damage. I laughed and actually thought that maybe we would get through the whole winter without any severe weather. (Stop laughing.)
Fast forward to this morning. Joel calls me (he's out on a business trip) at 8am and asks me if Joci has school today. I was a little groggy from getting up with Moose at 5am, so I quickly ran through what he just asked in my head. It's Tuesday. It's December. Christmas break doesn't start until next week. Why wouldn't she have school today? Crap. I run to the window just as Joel laughs and asks me if I've even looked outside today, which I hadn't. When I look out the window, all I see is mounds of snow where my neighbors houses used to be. Sweet. Snow day. Except for some reason, our school was the only one in the Kansas City Metropolitan area that didn't so much as DELAY school. Nope - started right on time.
I wish I could post pics of the damage, but I left my camera in NE over Turkey Day. They did cancel Joci's Christmas Program tonight, which was kind of a bummer. I just wish they would have realized how bad it was earlier in the day so that we wouldn't have had to go out at all. Poor Joci doesn't know the beauty of a snow day yet (that thought takes me back...). And for the record, the wind chill is -2 here today. Like it matters. I wish that if it were under 30, they'd just say "And today, it's going to be f*cking cold." That sounds more accurate to me.

1 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey! I need your address so I can send you our Christmas Card. email me at brookelutz@hotmail.com

Merry Christmas!!!